Labor of Love, Literally.


“Daddy” Scrubs from Milk & Baby Boutique ~ Birthing Robe from ModMum Maternity

Wow. I did it. This is how it went down. I got pregnant, I got GD, I got healthier, and I started an Instagram account to track my pregnancy and hopefully inspire other pregnant women to live a fun and healthy lifestyle.  I’d say it went pretty well. I also met a ton of bad ass women along the way. I am sharing with you what it was like for me to give birth vaginally, naturally, and medication free. It was important to me that I deliver this way so I specifically had the pre-game talk with my husband and midwife, letting them know that they were to deny me meds if I reach the point of begging for them. I worked so hard during my pregnancy to get to this point and I did not want to blow it by giving in during labor. I’ll try and keep this short.

Getting hit with the GD really blew me off course in the beginning, mostly because it blocked me from having the home birth that I always dreamed of. But, I got the best I could get considering my condition; a Labor and Delivery Room in the hospital with a midwife. I pass no judgments on other women and how they choose to birth because we are all different, but we all have the same super power; we BIRTH. It was important to me to not be induced unnaturally. In the end, the only induction that I had was a vaginal sweep at my final prenatal visit with my midwife. I was already dilated 3cm when I went in. I read more about it when I got home from the appointment and found that the sweep doesn’t always work. This made me nervous because I was at 40 weeks and 5 days, and my doctor wanted to induce me with Pitocin at 41 weeks due the risks associated with GD. Lucky for me, my contractions started that evening.

The Contractions

I would say they started on Wednesday, June 8th around 6pm. They came in very far apart and were very mild. I was even starting to get cocky, thinking if this is it, then no sweat. A couple of hours of this and I’ll be a mom. OMFG, was I wrong. I asked my husband to hit the sack early in case it was to go down because I needed him to be well rested. Plus, he had a crazy work weekend ahead of him, so this delivery would have wiped him out without proper rest. I decided to clean a little and was feeling kind of anxious, trying to sleep but not able to. I took several baths and still thought, this is no sweat. By 11pm the contractions were getting stronger, but not strong enough nor frequent enough to start timing them. About 1:30 am, we started timing but my husband kept telling me its not time to go because we hadn’t reached the 4:1:1 algorithm.  4 contractions, 1 minute long, in 1 hour. He went to sleep, but soon the contractions were coming in closer together and were just a little harder to handle. I woke him up at 3:30 but the damn contractions slowed down again and the whole thing was a bust. So back to sleep he went. Then 5:30 am, OMG, it’s really happening now and the timing getting really close. He calls the midwife on-call at the hospital while taking the dogs for a walk. He wasn’t more than 10 steps out the door and I call him, IT’S TIME TO GO, NOW!!!

At this point I am unable to communicate, keep my eyes opened or focused, and I feel myself falling into a trance. The only thing I can do is focus on the pain and to redirect it by breathing and sort of letting it do it’s thing. This took a lot of meditation and breathing. I remember wearing my adorable birthing robe in case we were to take some cute pre-birth photos. Ha, YEAH RIGHT.

Checking In

It’s about 6 am if I can remember correctly when we got to the hospital. I was in my mother’s old wheelchair because there was no way I could walk through the contractions. I did not say a word the whole drive there and I remember zero faces while we were checking in. I literally felt intoxicated or high, if you will. I was in this cute birthing robe that I got from Modmum Maternity, thinking that I was going to have the cutest birth experience to share with all of you. I mean, all the other women look so cute when they share their hospital photos. Ha! NOPE. That shit came off with the quickness. My first stop was the shower. I read that warm water was one of the best pain relievers during labor. Well, it was fine, but mostly annoying because I had monitors on me and an IV that I couldn’t get wet, plus the shower head was inconvenient, so never mind that idea. The thought of having any additional things to worry about besides dealing with the pain did not sound pleasant, so I went barbaric. Naked as could be for the next 16 hours. It was a very National Geographic theme with me being completely naked. I requested a doula but quickly questioned if it was necessary to have yet another person in the room. My husband reminded me that it’s what I’ve been wanting since the beginning and I am so glad I did not call her off. She played such a huge role in my labor. She was a volunteer and she is now very special to me. I had never met her until this day and I will never forget her.


photo (4)

Baby Daddy – He brushed his teeth 5 times in 16 hrs to ensure fresh breath while coaching me!

16 Hours

I got these adorable “I’m The Daddy” scrubs from Milk & Baby Boutique for my husband. He geared up and things really started to get going. I needed to breathe. A LOT of breathing and concentrating on letting these contractions come and go. The first few hours were fine. I was getting the hang of it but then I remember glancing at the clock and realizing that I had been going at this for 6, 10, 12 hours. The midwives were checking to see how dilated I was, but not often enough to give me any hope that the end of this pain was in sight anytime soon. Though I was allowed to eat during this time, hell no, I couldn’t. I stayed very well hydrated and carried on in this meditative trance I was in. The pain was stronger with less time in between to give me rest, but whenever I could I would try to sleep, only to be awakened with more pain. I tried every position imaginable: the birthing ball, another shower, a stool, a peanut pillow, a back rub, and standing.  My husband noticed that I handled the pain better when I was standing, so for at least half of the time, we stood together, almost dancing, swaying my hips back and forth. With each contraction, I let all of my weight fall and he held me up each and every time.  In between contractions he would occasionally stop to rest and stretch his legs and back, getting ready for the next round.  It was like we were participating in an Iron Man triathlon together. Okay already, enough is enough! This is where I start whispering to my husband, “I can’t do this, I need help, I can’t do this anymore.” He reminds me that I strongly wished to this without medication and encourages me to keep up the good work and that we are almost there. He kept reminding me that this pain is temporary, but what I’m about to accomplish will last a lifetime; for me and for our son.  He wouldn’t budge reminding me of our pre-game talk. So I desperately tell my Doula, “I can’t do this, make it stop, I can’t do this.” She says, “You are doing it, honey, YOU ARE doing it.” Then after 14 hours of active labor, my water breaks! Let’s start pushing!!! Can you believe that I have gone through all of this so far, I am finally at the pushing stage, and all I can think about is not pooping in front of my husband while I push??? I’ve been with this man for nearly 7 years and I can’t bear the thought of pooping in front of him! Is that weird? I push for 2 hours. I seriously think that it’s not going to end, or end well anyway. Then it happened, I gave it everything I had left and my husband pulled our son out. Baby Q finally made it into this world at 9:20 pm on June 9th, 2016. My world completely changed. Nothing else but his health matters to me, and I have reached another level of love with my husband.

The Aftermath 

Q aspirated meconium in his lungs and he was only allowed to be with me for less than 30 seconds before the pediatric team took him to check him out. He had difficulty breathing and I was torn pretty bad. A 4th-degree tear to be exact. While a team of doctors stitched me up, the pediatric team had my son and suddenly I can see again. I’m no longer in a trance. I just snapped out of it and all I wanted was to hold my son. My husband stayed with Q the whole time and assured me that he was going to be alright. I started thanking everyone that was involved. I looked over at my husband and immediately told him that we are not having any more children, lol. I did it, I gave birth the way I wanted and I have a beautiful healthy boy to show for it. Q was in the NICU for 24 hours because of the aspiration. He was put on oxygen and an IV to give him nutrients and antibiotics to help prevent infection. All I wanted was to be with my son. Though I got to visit and breastfeed him in the NICU, I had to sleep alone the first night without him, and it broke my heart. I sent hubby home to sleep well, as he was up for over 36 hours, running only on coffee and adrenaline and had to work the next day. Baby Q quickly recovered and was able to stay with me the next evening. We were finally set free 2 days later.  Today, I am a full time, 24hr milk bar, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

What’s Next…

If I could share any advice, it would be to do your research. Find out what is important to you and your family and know that you are capable of birthing the way YOU want to. In some cases, obstacles will arise and you may need to compromise, but at the end of the day, Mom and Baby’s health is what’s most important. Having my husband on my team was a life saver. He literally went on this crazy journey with me and never left my side. Birthing was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had and the pain endured is starting to become a faint memory.  My son is totally worth every minute. Now still as a team, hubby and I are facing sleepless nights, an abundance of dirty diapers, and a whole lot of snuggles. I encourage you to leave a comment and ask me anything you would like, I would love to share my story with you.


For “Daddy Scrubs and more…

Check out :

For Birthing Robes…

Check out:


2 thoughts on “Labor of Love, Literally.

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. I, too, want a natural birth for my son due in July. .. I’m right behind you. And I also have GD. Doctors told me birth will be complicated and possibly induced. … I’m doing my research and staying healthy to avoid induction or any other medical intervention.
    How much did your baby weight?
    I was told I wasn’t going to be allowed to go pass 40 weeks. I followed your journey to almost 41 weeks… I’m glad it started on its on for you!


    • Hi Maria!
      Thanks for reading!Stay as healthy as possible, stay positive, and everything will be fine. Sometimes we have to go a route that isn’t planned, but it may be the best route for that moment. Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes! My baby was 8.5 lbs. If you aren’t already, really work on strengthing your legs and pelvic floor, it will help you tremendously! Good luck! Xo


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s